The world of reusable nappies can be a bit of a minefield. There are sooo many different brands, types and materials it can be difficult to know which ones to use. So here are my (and a few other mummies’) top tips on starting the journey of reusables!
- Go to a local “nappy library” so you can look at different types. There are so many different ones to choose from and going to a nappy library can let you look at, feel and talk about the different types. The people running them will also be fountains of knowledge and can help you make your decisions on what to try.
- You can take the nappy lady quiz. This is good for narrowing down options and deciding which nappies are best for you. https://www.thenappylady.co.uk/nappy-advice-questionnaire.html
- Have a look at fit videos online. Reusable nappies are put on slightly differently than disposables so if you are moving from disposables, ensuring you understand how to put reusables on properly is important to reduce the risk of leaks. For example, reusables don’t need to sit as high up the back and instead, need to be pulled slightly further up the front.
- It may be best to consider different types for day and night time. There are more slimline fits that can be great for comfort (and crawling) throughout the day, and larger, more absorbent ones that can be used at night to reduce the number of night changes.
- Consider buying preloved rather than new. This can be way cheaper and even more eco-friendly.
- Try and get the nappies before baby is here so you can wash and prep – even new nappies need washed a few times before using so that they can become fully absorbent. Different brands suggest different number of washes before use so check what they suggest if new. If pre-loved, giving them one good clean before use will be enough.
- Talking about washing; get a nappy specific washing up powder/steriliser/stain remover to put in the machine when you wash them. This can help to increase the life of your nappy and stop it from smelling with use. Drying them outside in the sun can also help to remove any stains naturally!
- You should make a budget and stick to it. There are so many cute and awesome prints out there for nappies, it is easy to get carried away! Decide how many you are going to buy beforehand and try not to get taken in by the cute factor of the designs.
- If you are opting for cloth nappies, cloth wipes are an easy swap too. They can be a lot gentler on baby’s skin and don’t really add to the cleaning workload of reusables. This can also save you lots of money too! There are some lovely kits out there but you don’t need to go fancy. Cheap cotton face cloths will do exactly the same job!
- Don’t feel obliged to use them all the time. Sometimes life happens and maybe you run out of nappies or you find that in the moment, you can’t keep up with the washing workload. Going between disposables and reusables might not be the most effective way to save money, but it will still mean that you are helping protect the environment. Like with all aspects of parenting, remember to be kind to yourself too!
Falkirk has its own nappy library that you can contact here: https://www.facebook.com/FalkirkRealNappies/